Thursday, January 16, 2014

Sofas, Wigs and Such...



Can we talk about sofas?  Please?  Do I need to twist your arm?  Oh, you're as design-obsessed as I am?  Good...let's chat.

Quite a few years, husband and step children ago, we decided to get a new sofa.  My at the time husband (ATTH & Co for short) thought we needed a sectional to fit all of our 75,296 kids.  ATTH and I tried out a gagillion sectionals.  He, naturally, opted for overstuffed reclining.  I...did not.  We ended up with a Pottery Barn Comfort Sectional with an off-white linen slipcover.  It is a great sofa and feels like sitting on a cloud.  And I was ALL FOR the white slipcover.  Bleach came to the rescue more times than I could count.  And every time I washed it, it was like getting a new sofa all over again. 





Fast forward a few years and I find that I've traded ATTH & Co for a few dogs.  What can I say?  I'm turning into the crazy dog lady.  While the slipcover is still great, I'm kind of tired of constantly having to wash it because of grubby fingers and dog hair.  Honestly though, there is a larger problem.  And that large problem is the dogs laying on the back cushions.  They are now all smooshed and saggy.  And that smooshedness and sagginess is making me wish I had a new sofa with an attached back.  (Read:  this may just be justification for feeding my endless hunger for re-doing my home, which has turned into a revolving door when it comes to furniture.  I guess I am kind of a furniture floosy).




So, I have had new sofas on the brain.  Choosing the style sofa I want is easy.  Picking the fabric is another story.  Velvet?  Linen?  Some blend?  Dark?  Light?  Ugh.  The choices are endless.  And you know what keeps sticking in my head?  Green.  Or even chartreuse.  Dare I be that bold?  I spent a bit of time today re-creating the room to see how I would feel with a green sofa.


Living Room 2
 
 
I'm kind of digging it.  Can I get away with a green sofa, pink chairs and a blue cabinet?  You'll notice I have two different chairs shown.  One is safe.  One is sassy.  Can you guess which I am leaning toward? 
 
That isn't my chandelier, by the way.  Mine is actually a red twig chandelier, but I could not find any good pictures to include on the board.  Mine looks like this:
 
 
via 1stdibs
 
 
While searching for a twig chandelier I accidentally typed in "Wig Chandelier" and came across this.
 
 
 
 
You're welcome.  Seriously?  WTF?!? 
 
 
And yes, I realize that I don't have to get a new sofa...rather, I could just train my dogs to stay off the sofa.  But where's the fun in that?
 
xoxoK
 

8 comments:

  1. Wig chandelier?!?! That is craziest light fixture I have ever seen. Loving your plans - sass all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you hinting that you are painting the back of your etagere's pink? If you can, use indoor/outdoor fabric. It is more stain resistant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower here! Really enjoy the blog! That said, the wig chandelier is cray cray!. However Im really thinking of using these darker colors too.I cant wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might have nightmares tonight after seeing that wig...light. As for the green couch, I've got one and have never been happier. Velvet al the way. I find it repeals the best against dog hair. At least my dogs hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too once had a slipcovered sofa and I loved the idea of being able to wash it but finding the time to do so was tough and my black dogs meant it always looked nasty. Your inspiration room is nothing short of fabulous. I love the green sofa. duh. Enjoy sofa shopping - the dreaming is the best part!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Linda, the dogs will probably end up 'ruuning' velvet or suede in a short time. Good luck though, and yes, that WIG chandelier????? Belongs in the ugliest Chandy contest for sure! At least it me smile though and 'retch'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing I love more than a green velvet sofa!! I say go for it. I have the dog issue, too, but hey...you only live once. I think Sunbrella makes an outdoor-safe velvet, though I've never seen it in person. I wonder if that would work? I can't wait to see what you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw that wig chandelier and thought the same. ....too funny. Glad your pups are as much a part of your lives as ours are. I got a new sofa 2 years ago and so far have not let any dogs on it, but the cat has scratched the back of it and I died! Of course our puppy, now 1 yr. managed to chew a few corners off of the rugs.. Oh well, animals are more important! Performance fabrics or indoor outdoor are key!!!! rugs, I don't think they make none chewable kinds. Have a great weekend. xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete