Thursday, May 1, 2014

One Room Challenge - Week Five


As you all know, I got home from vacation late Saturday night.  And woke up on Sunday with the hopes of working tirelessly on the laundry room and hallway for the One Room Challenge Linking Event hosted by the lovely Linda from Calling It Home.  Click to catch up on Week One, Week Two, Week Three, Week Four.  

As for Week Five, my laundry list (humor!  har!) was l.o.n.g.

  • Tile
  • Sand sheetrock
  • Texture sheetrock
  • Paint ceiling
  • Hang crown
  • Hang moulding on the walls
  • Paint crown and moulding
  • Wallpaper
  • Hang light fixtures
  • Blah
  • Blah
  • Blah

So, I began sanding sheetrock.  And kept sanding for what seemed like hours.  I know I haven't mentioned it before, but I. Hate. Sheetrock. Repair. 

Finally finished, I moved on to adding moulding to the walls.  I decided to carry the traditional wainscoting that is in my dining-room-turned-office down the hallway that leads to the kitchen, garage, laundry and pantry.  It needed the continuity.

 

In the laundry room, I wanted something a bit less formal, so I went with a board and batten look. 


Moulding was hung, caulked and ready for wallpaper on Monday.


And then Monday night / Tuesday morning we were hit with this. 

At least the colors on the forecast are pretty?!?


Y'all, I have lived in the South for 16 years and I have seen all sorts of weather from snow to hurricanes to tornadoes to heat waves.  See that scale up there for the rain severity?  I've seen green, dark green, yellow, orange, red and even burgundy.  I have NEVER seen us get pink and purple.  Notice the time up in the right-hand corner?  2:31AM.  Yes, at that point the three kids, four dogs and I were all huddled in my pantry as golf ball-sized hail was coming down.  We were in the pantry for over two hours.  Thankfully, no damage was done and no tornadoes touched down.  Sadly, many others cannot say the same.

Tuesday night was more of the same.  Mobile got about 20" of rain.  There has been terrible flooding, huge sinkholes and large portions of roads have collapsed.  Y'all, it's a mess!

And in the words of the ever-classy Sweet Brown, "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

This weekend is going to be intense.  I still have so much to do, but I refuse to throw my hands up and give in. We may live on booze (just me) and pizza (the kids) for the next week, but dammit, This. Room. Will. Be. Done.  And it will be freaking splendid

Be sure to check out the other Linking Participants and give them some love.  And don't forget about the One Room Challenge Participants.

18 comments:

  1. Kimber....we are down in the panhandle and got that same weather....seriously I have never seen this much rain so hard and fast!!! You will survive and it will get done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I'm so sorry to hear about the weather--hope everyone is ok! On a lighter note...I do love the wainscotting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about yall with that weather! I can't believe it missed us. Praying for everyone that was affected. That wallpaper and moulding is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good god woman, that weather is horrible. So thankful y'all are OK and we'll keep the rest of the area in our thoughts. As for your room, it's looking fab my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny post, sorry about the weather but glad you are ok. The new trim does look awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy you and your family were safe during that awful storm. I can't believe how much you accomplished before it hit though... you are amazing!

    Good luck in the final week - if you work at that pace you'll be done in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your board and batten look!! Can't wait to see all you do this last week! I follow you on IG and so glad you all stayed safe during your storms!! Good luck this week!!
    Kendra @ www.joyinourhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you all are safe. That's so scary and my heart goes out to the people who weren't as lucky. Now, on to that wallpaper. It looks amazing. Wishing you luck to finish it all up cause I really want to see it:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The wallpaper and moulding already are absolutely splendid! So glad you all were safe from the storms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The paper is just ridiculously good- as are the moldings. Girl, you're making some spark-ling lemonade there! I follow you on IG and an update from you was the last I looked for when I went to bed and the first thing I searched for in my feed the next morning. Was so worried for you and your kids that night. Relieved to know all was OK with you the next day. Can't wait to see your room reveal next week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, Kimber! I'm glad you were all safe, and how horrible to see others plights on the news. Makes the ORC seem so insignificant. That said, it's a great motivator and prove something to yourself kind of thing, and I adore your attitude! Good luck, and I know it will all get done! Good luck this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The board and batten looks fantastic. Glad you're safe. Good luck this week. You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That wallpaper makes me lose my breath. You are really a jack of all trades, woman...kudos! Glad all is well after the storm...such scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the wallpaper!!! I hear you on the storms - we weathered the tornado threats in Birmingham until the wee hours of the morning.
    Shelia
    www.houseofhighlands.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry you are going through all that! It's hard to imagine! We just have little ole' earthquakes in CA!
    I Love the wallpaper & I'm sure it will be Gorgeous AND if anyone will get it done, my bets on you! Can't wait to see the reveal! Stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry to hear you and your family are going through such horrendous weather! I'm glad you are okay! Love your sneak peak, I can't wait for the big reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry about the balls weather:((( On a much happier note, your walls and wallpaper are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm in love with that wallpaper!!!! Hope you survived the crazy weather! It's the home stretch! I know your space will be amazing!

    XO,
    Krista

    ReplyDelete