Friday, October 4, 2013

Oh yes I did!


I’m back, Jack!  I know, I know.  You are overcome with excitement and sheer joy.  The sun is shining; the birds are singing…blah, blah, blah.  Missed you too!

So, I’d like to talk a bit about what’s been going on at #ProjectLemonade.  The short answer:  not much.  The long answer:

We are moved in and the kids have started school and sports.  Life has been uber hectic, thus my not posting.  Well, that and the little thing of us not having internet.  That’s kind of a big deal when you write a blog.  The kids are divided on what they want first, television or internet. 

We have definitely been back to the basics at our house.  But “basics” does not have to mean ugly, correct?  So, I’ve been working on things that really bothered me the most.  One such thing was our kitchen backsplash.  We have very common granite that many people have and an equally common travertine backsplash.  I’m sure, to some, it is fantastic.  But it just didn’t suit my style.  I’ve thought long and hard about replacing it, but, let’s be honest, I don’t even have a working oven right now, so...priorities. 





The other night I was calling out spelling words to my son and Just. Could. Not. Take. It. Another. Minute.  It was TAUNTING me.  So, I decided to change it.  Right there and then on a random weekday night.  How could I change a backsplash on the fly?  Paint.  Duh.

I began by grabbing my spackle and planned to help even out some of the tumbled tile.  I got a little ways and realized if I wanted it smooth I would have to skim coat it.  But before undertaking that craziness, I wanted to see what it would look like if I just primed over it.  So I did. 


You know the funny thing?  My boys did not even bat an eye.  I asked them if it freaked them out when they saw me doing crazy stuff around the house.  They both said no.  I asked them if it was because A. they didn’t care or B. they trusted I’d make it look fabulous.  They both, in unison, said they totally trusted me.  He’s my *favorite* son. 

Of course, this kind of undertaking requires a ton of prep work and the best tools. 






I used a foam cigar roller and my favorite Zinsser primer.  Didn’t even clean the backsplash first.  I love to live on the edge, folks.  *Note the foil-lined cookie sheet acting as my tray.  Class all the way.


 I used my favorite Purdy 2” angle brush to do the cut in and get in the really deep pockets on the tile.  When the primer dried, I gave it two good coats of this stuff.  Rustoleum Enamel Oil-Based Paint.  The white was a bit too white for my kitchen, so I dumped in some of the Rustoleum Almond color and mixed it up.  I just wanted to warm up my white a bit.  No rhyme or reason, I just dumped and mixed.


Best.  Paint.  Ever.  And I ONLY buy paint from Home Depot.  Period.  Ever.  If it isn’t Rustoleum, it’s their Behr line.  I’ve used every kind, and know I’ve professed my undying love many times, but it is the best. 

Then, I got really daring.  My roller was wet with the oil paint and the other side of the kitchen had not been primed yet.  I just rolled it straight onto the tile.  Oh yes I did!  And it covered beautifully!  Even the metal inserts that are randomly scattered on the backsplash.  The shine on this paint is unbelievable! 







I am so pleased with how it is holding up.  I simply wipe it down with soap and water, as needed. 

Most importantly though, look at the difference.  It makes the granite that I HATED work.  Why did I wait so long?

Have you ever taken a chance in your home?

Best,

Kimber

4 comments:

  1. Yes, of course I have taken chances in my home. I have better than a 50/50 average, so that's good? Although, even the ones I like, I change them too. This back splash was a great idea. I have read about painting tile but have never done it. Good for you. Also, you can watch tv on the internet so my vote is for internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you already know I love this. Can't wait to share your idea on my blog...and to try it myself! Thanks a million!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Looks amazing! you brave girl you!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete