Wednesday, October 18, 2017

One Room Challenge - Laundry Room Redo - Week Three


I shuddered when I typed that 3 in the title, I'm not going to lie.  How can it already be Week Three and I have not painted a. single. thing.?  How is that possible?  How will I finish?  Will it look great or will it look like my kitchen that time that I painted it tan without really understanding paint undertones and my entire kitchen looked like vomit?  These are the questions I ask myself as I lie in bed sleepless every evening.  

Where are my manners?  Welcome to Week Three of the One Room Challenge, a wonderful event hosted by Linda from Calling it Home where Featured Designers are invited to completely redo a room in six weeks.  Linda is kind enough to allow Guest Participants join in the fun as well, which I have chosen to do.  A wise choice?  That is still undecided.  

For this ORC, I have strong-armed encouraged my mama to say goodbye to her dated laundry room and join us in the year 2017.  

Last week I showed you the various wallpapers that we were considering for the space.  I got a sample of Thibaut Tanzania and Brunschwig & Fils Les Touches.  Both are spectacular, but the Les Touches is 5x the cost of the Tanzania, and since we need 9 double rolls, we went with it.  Let's be real here - we will end up spending that money somewhere...let's just call it budget redistribution.




Speaking of budget, have you shopped for cabinet hardware lately?  There are SO MANY amazing options which I shared with Mama, confident that she would love them too.  And love them she did, until she counted how many she will need (26) and did stupid math and realized the money she would save from the wallpaper would be spent on handles.  For the laundry room.  She quickly told me that I needed to find something within the $3.00 range and to check the big box stores.  I laughed out loud then told her that we wouldn't find anything decent for less than $6 - even at the retail giants.  Then I may have told her, "Welcome to the 90's, Mr. Banks."  If you get that reference, you're my people.  After some skillful negotiating on my part, I got the budget increased to $7.69 (rando) and quickly fell in love with this one.

Classical Revival Drawer Pull

And equally as quickly realized that it does not come in the size we need, so I was back to searching. And let's be honest, my eyes were crossing from looking at 1,293 handles in my budget, like these -


www.myknobs.com


Woof.  No offense if you have those and love them, they just aren't the look I am going for.  I was not about to give up, I would persevere!  I expanded my search and came across these lucite and brass pulls, which Mama loved.  I ordered them very quickly before she could change her mind.  What of the budget, you ask?  I was $12.00 over (shipping).  Boom. 


Lucite Handles

Now that we have selected a wallpaper, we can finally get around to choosing a paint color.  We have it narrowed down to Ocean Abyss or Walk Me Home, both by Behr.


Ocean Abyss


Walk Me Home


They're pretty great, yes?  I am leaning toward the bolder Ocean Abyss, but will wait until I have samples in the room before deciding.  See how I have matured?  No more vomit-colored walls for me. 

Please be sure to come back next week to see which color we chose - and if we have paint on the cabinets yet.  In the meantime, be sure to check out the Featured Designers and the other Guest Participants.  Also, you can see my other ORC rooms - bedroom, bathroom, laundry room.  Have a great week!

Kimber

















4 comments:

  1. Love the lucite handles... Great choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that wallpaper and yes the Les Touches is nice ... maybe as an upholstered piece one day. I am a bit fan of lucite too ... will have some element of it in my rooms and can't wait to see yours come to life in 3 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woof (lmao). It's going to look so good! I love the direction you're heading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coming together lady. Don't fret, I haven't painted a thing yet either. Shocker.

    ReplyDelete